The Sunday Times Generation Next Youth survey has announced the finalists for SA’s “coolest” local celebs, sports personalities, radio shows and TV soaps – as decided by the country’s youth.
Now in its 14th year, the Sunday Times Generation Next Youth survey, in association with leading youth market specialists, HDI Youth Marketeers polls more than seven thousand youths from around the country, across more than seventy categories, and is considered the leading barometer of what SA’s kids, teens and young adults find on-trend and aspirational.
Reardon Sanderson, GM Group Sales & Marketing at Tiso Blackstar says: “The Sunday Times Generation Next survey provides great insight for marketers and brand owners on how well they’re perceived by the nation’s future spenders. Naturally personal branding, particularly for sport stars and entertainers is equally important as these individuals often serve as role models for our youth.”
“As brands try navigate a mobile-first/digital-first world, it is important for them to listen and observe the youth” says Bongani, Chinkanda, Chief Executive Officer at HDI Youth Marketeers. He further adds “We have seen the rise of micro influencers, because the youth is more aware of the lack of loyalty that exists with celebrity influencers as they jump from one brand to the next, and sometimes even direct competitors. It will be interesting to see how this has had an effect on the 2018 research findings”
The winners will awarded at the youth-focussed Awards event taking place at the Sandton Convention Centre on 14 June 2018, but here are the category finalists (in alphabetical order):
- Coolest Local Male Celebs: AKA, Cassper Nyovest, Kwesta, Nasty C, Trevor Noah
- Coolest Local Female Celebs: Amanda Black, Babes Wodumo, Lady Zamar, Minnie Dlamini, Pearl Thusi
- Coolest Local Music Stars: AKA, Babes Wodumo, Cassper Nyovest, Mi Casa, Nasty C
- Coolest Local Sportspeople: AB de Villiers, Caster Semenya, Itumaleng Khune, Simphiwe Tshabalala, Wayde van Niekerk
- Coolest Local DJs: Black Coffee, DJ Fresh, DJ Tira, DJ Zinhle, Prince Kaybee
- Coolest Local Screen Stars: Leon Schuster, Nomzamo Mbatha, Pearl Thusi, Somizi Mhlongo, Trevor Noah
- Coolest Local TV Soaps: 7de Laan, Empire, Isibaya, The Queen, Uzalo
- Coolest Radio Stations: 5FM, 947FM Highveld, East Coast Radio (ECR), MetroFM, Ukhozi FM
Which celebs will be the big winners on the day? Follow @ST_GenNext on Twitter, and keep up with the conversation via #GenNext2018.